Java is a technology from Oracle (formerly: Sun Microsystems). There are several implementations, of which five will be discussed here:
- OpenJDK: The primary goal of the OpenJDK project is to produce an open-source implementation of the Java SE Platform (6 and 7). This is the default version of Java that Ubuntu uses and is the easiest to install.
- Oracle (Sun) Java 6: Oracle (Sun) Java 6 is the reference implementation for Java 6.
- Oracle Java 7: Oracle Java 7 is the reference implementation for Java 7.
- IBM Java: IBM Java is the preferred Java solution on PowerPC machines. It is a reimplementation with a Just-In-Time Compiler. It is only available from IBM's website.
- GNU Compiler: A Java compiler made by GNU. Only developers should have to install this.
Installation of sun-java6-jdk, sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-plugin on ubuntu 12.04 LTS
To Install this PPA:
- sudo apt-add-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/java
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jdk
Note: if PPA Add doesn't work type below cmd on terminal
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
After that try to add PPA .